Thursday, January 20, 2011

Max's Words

Max's Words by Kate Banks is a gem! Max has two older brothers who both are collectors:  Benjamin collects stamps and Karl keeps coins.  Max looks for something to collect and he decides to start collecting words.  He finds them in newspapers and magazines.  He takes care to cut them out and sort them into many different categories.  Eventually he starts moving his words around to create stories.


This is a great book to share with your child, because it will help your child become a word collector!

I was lucky enough to stumble upon this book when I was teaching second grade.  As soon as I read it I knew my students would love it.; however, I had no idea they would all start their own word collections!  It was amazing to watch my students bring in newspapers and magazines to start finding words.  They came up with quite a collection and even started to create their own stories.

Today I am not going to leave you any questions to ask your child when reading Max's Words.  Instead, I am going to challenge you to read this book to your child and start you own word collection.  It will be a lot of fun and it will help enhance your child's vocabulary.  By helping build your child's vocabulary you are helping to build their schema (background knowledge)!

No comments:

Post a Comment