Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Apple Pie ABC

It has been forever since I shared a book!  I apologize.  It is not due to a lack of great books to share, that is for sure!  I have purchased so many great books in the past few weeks, but life has just been too busy to stop and write about them!

A few weeks ago, my babies turned one.  The babies received a great gift from some great friends: two apple trees and two books about apples.  One of the books, Apple Pie ABC by Alison Murray, is simply delightful!

Apple Pie ABC is an alphabet book.  It is one of the finest alphabet books I have EVER read.  I like it so much because it actually tells a story (with little text) and it calls upon the reader to infer!  Alphabet books getting young children to infer!  What is not to love?

The premise of the story is simple: an apple pie is placed upon a table.  The little pup in the story wants to eat the pie in a bad way, but the little girl in the story knows that he is not supposed to eat it! The author takes the reader through an alphabet journey in the dogs quest to eat the pie.  He does everything he can think of to get his paws on it.  I love that the author uses a wide vocabulary throughout the book.  When sharing this book with your child, be sure to stop and talk about new vocabulary!

Since the text is sparse throughout the story, it is up to the reader to infer (use text clues plus background knowledge) to what the pup and the little girl are feeling and thinking.  This is also a great story to work on text-self connections.  I think we can all relate to wanting something yummy fresh from the oven!

Have fun reading!  I bet you want to bake an apple pie after reading this book!

No comments:

Post a Comment